Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Evening Star Quilt Guild Newsletter, APRIL 26, 2017



 

Evening Star Quilt Guild Newsletter


Meetings are held at the Davison - Richfield Senior Center
10135 Lapeer Road, Davison, Mi.
Meetings are on the last Wednesday of each month
Doors open at 6:00 p.m. Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m.

Our Website:

Facebook Page:


                                      
      

The next meeting is  April 26, 2017.  Come and bring a friend!

From The President:

Easter Blessings to all of you! I hope you enjoyed time with family and friends. I know I did. I took my great grandson to Almont Park for an egg hunt, along with my daughter and one of my granddaughters. I needed those young legs to chase after this almost 3 year old little ball of energy. The Easter bunny arrived via HELICOPTER! Can you believe it? I have to tell you, I had as much fun as he did, if not more. On Sunday my daughter had all of us over for a wonderful dinner. I am so grateful for all of them. 
Oh my goodness, wasn’t Laura Patterson delightful? Her trunk show was fabulous!
It was such a treat to be able to touch her quilts and view them up close, her quilting techniques. She is a very talented lady!  I know that each and every one of these speakers inspire me. I hope they inspire you too!

 
President’s Challenge:

Well, this month I’m thinking we should bring in something floral. It can be a quilt, 
Totes, purses, wall hanging or a table runner or whatever you have for show and tell. I love seeing all of the beautiful things that you have made. I love hearing the stories behind them. YOU ARE ALL AN INSPIRATION to me. I learn something at each meeting. So, come on, let’s make this a huge show and tell. 

P.S. Alma, did you make and Easter wall hanging? I hope so!



Betsy Koss will be our speaker for April! She considers herself a traditional quilter but often takes antique blocks and puts them in unusual settings designing her own quilts. She has been teaching how to mark quilts, how to fix old quilt tops to retain their value and various quilting techniques including BIG STITCH.

The workshop is on Thursday, April 27,2017, at 10:00 A.M. The address is : 
Linda’s Quilt Shop, 3058 N State Road F, Davison, Mi. 48423 (810-658-9051).
Betsy will show you how to use your old blocks, unfinished tops and vintage quilts.
If you are interested in this workshop please contact Anna Palmer-810-667-3504



We welcome visitors to all of our meetings. The guild charges a fee of $7.00 for non-members when we have a speaker.













Star Challenge

Charlie has done a phenomenal job with the star challenge. I know she has spent a great deal of time making sure that each of us has a good grasp of star making. I never knew there were so many different ways to put a star together. Thanks a ton for all of your hard work, Charlie. It’s fun to have a guild challenge that is so well received. 
The star challenge deadline is the May meeting.  May 31, 2017. 
Leslie’s stars : She is putting together an I Spy quilt . It can be any color, as long as the center is a fussy cut , person, place or thing . Everyone likes to play I spy. 

Anne’s stars: Anne is putting the stars together for the wounded warriors. She is
Asking that the center be red, the points be blue and the background white. 

Charlie’s stars: Charlie is putting together quilts for charity. She is taking any
Color or pattern that you feel like making. She said she will make it work. I kind of think she will. So, keep those stars coming in.

Betsy Koss will be our speaker for April! She considers herself a traditional quilter but often takes antique blocks and puts them in unusual settings designing her own quilts. She has been teaching how to mark quilts, how to fix old quilt tops to retain their value and various quilting techniques including BIG STITCH.

The workshop is on Thursday, April 27,2017, at 10:00 A.M. The address is : 
Linda’s Quilt Shop, 3058 N State Road F, Davison, Mi. 48423 (810-658-9051).
Betsy will show you how to use your old blocks, unfinished tops and vintage quilts.
If you are interested in this workshop please contact Anna Palmer-810-667-3504

We welcome visitors to all of our meetings. The guild charges a fee of $7.00 for non-members when we have a speaker.

Our speaker for May is Mary Bajcz. Her trunk show is Scrap Happy Serendipity quilts. About Mary Bajcz…as stated on her website: I’ve made quilts for about 35 years and am constantly delighted by the endless ways fabrics can be combined into a beautiful and useful quilt-art that can keep you warm. I enjoy the serendipity in quilt making. I start out with an idea, assemble a pile of fabrics, start cutting and sewing and watch to see if good things happen. They usually do. I also make smaller art quilts, reversible silk jackets, and loads of handbags. About12 years ago I discovered “free cut piecing”, a technique that lets me “draw” with my rotary cutter. It’s my artistic voice!

Our speaker for June is Pat Anchatz, traditional quilts, hand quilting and hand piecing.  
Due to scheduling conflicts, our speaker for September was cancelled. We rebooked her for February, 2018. 

We will be doing the Chinese auction in September this is a good time to clean out your crafty/ quilting area of all those projects, ufo-s, tools you would like to find a new home for.

It looks like we are going to be enjoying a lot of different talents in the upcoming months. I am looking forward to learning new things, how about you?

Hospitality for April
I thank all the members that contributed to March’s hospitality table. The members who have signed up for April are Eva Nass, Karen Rykhus, Kim Carter, Colleen Dibble, and Elaine Camp.
Thank you, Sharon

Safehouse: Quilt donations, blankets-all sizes.

Hurley NICU is requesting quilts to cover the isolettes/incubator. The desired size is 52 inches by 54 inches. The backing should be black. No batting. You can use flannel or plain fabric for the backing. The top can be anything you want. 

Remember, there is a suggestion box at the front table. I will be happy to check out your ideas. Thanks.

Wanted- Evening Star Quilt Guild is looking for a Newsletter Editor. Please 
Consider this opportunity to keep the members informed with your amazing writing skills.  This newsletter has been respectfully submitted by: Mary Vibert - President

If we don’t get a volunteer to write the newsletter, I am afraid there won’t be a newsletter in the future. Think about it. It takes everyone to keep the guild running smoothly. 

The board meeting is May 3, 2017 at 1:00 p.m.

Wednesday. Please note the change.

We will be meeting at LEO'S in Davison, please join us!
Venue change noted May 26, 2017

Quilters come with strings attached…(prairie sewn studio’s)

*
*
*

GENESSEE STAR QUILT SHOW ... APRIL 28TH & 29TH .. INFORMATION  


2017 Quilt Show

A Garden of Quilts

April 28th, 10am - 5pm
April 29th, 10am - 4pm

Flushing United Methodist Church
413 E. Main Street, Flushing MI

Admission $5

Featuring over 100 quilts and exhibits, vendors, quilt block silent auctions, door prizes and scrap fabric sale.

Lunch and refreshments available

Scissor sharpening available

Small quilts on display in downtown Flushing
*
*
*

No comments:

Post a Comment